Total Pageviews

Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Pin

For all my avid blog followers, sorry I haven't posted in a few weeks. I was diagnosed with a concussion 2 weeks ago, and am just now able to get back to blogging. This concussion not only came at an awful time because of finals, but I also missed the last two weeks of my Volleyball season. For those who do not know, the New Trier Varsity Volleyball team went down to state on Friday, meaning we were top 8 out of 150+ teams in the state.

Unfortunately, we lost in the quarter finals. If that wasn't enough, it was to a team that we did not like whatsoever. It was a well fought game, but the worse of the two teams came out on top. In the locker room after the game, morale was low, and tears were even shed. Our coach proceeded to explain to us how great of a season we had, and handed each of us the small pin pictured above. When I received this pin, I was livid. After all the work we had put in, 3 months of blood sweat and tears, we were all given one generic pin. I didn't think it was fair, and was embarrassed to be given such a small consolation prize.

It wasn't until the bus ride home that I began to appreciate the pin. Although the pin isn't a 3 foot high first place trophy, it still does represent the unbelievable season we had. And I don't mean unvelievable because of the 32-8 record we finished with, but because of the memories and good times the team shared. When I look at this pin now, I see us beating Loyola in two sets to advance to state. I see my fellow teammates and I sitting around a bonfire bonding. I think of all the amazing times on and off the court that I shared with my teammates. When I look at this pin, the Lake Park loss in the quarter finals is the farthest thing away from my mind.

This post has nothing to do with America, which is the whole point of the blog, but I believe does teach an important lesson. This lesson is to always see the bright side of things, even if it may be hard to. I could have easily thrown this pin away in the locker room, because it reminded me of a horrible loss to a team we could've beaten. Instead, I'll use it as a memento to remind myself of the friendships I made my junior year of Volleyball. Plus, I have another whole year to win that 3 foot tall trophy.

No comments: